How does Captum protect me?
Captum provides funds and services to cover many types of personal security situations while you are traveling. These are called insured events and include kidnap, extortion, detention, threat, hijack or disappearance, or a series of connected events.
Who can buy Captum?
To purchase Captum, you must be traveling outside of your home country, which is the place where you have your true, fixed and permanent home and principal establishment. You may buy coverage for family members as well.
How Long Am I Covered?
You may buy a plan for up to 180 days. Pricing varies based on your travel destinations and the length of time you travel.
Coverage Start Date - Your effective date is the start date of your plan. it is shown on your ID card.
When Your Coverage Begins
Your coverage starts at 12:01 AM North American Eastern Time on the later of the following dates:
- The day after we receive your application and correct premium if we receive your application and payment online or by fax; or
- The day after the postmark date of your application and correct premium if we receive application and payment is made by mail; or
- The moment you depart your home country; or
- The date you request on your application.
When Your Coverage Ends
Your coverage ends on the earlier of the following dates:
- Your return to your home country; or
- The expiration of 180 days from the day your coverage begins or;
- The date shown on your ID card; or
- The end of the period for which you paid; or
- The date you are no longer eligible for the plan; or
- The date the maximum benefit amount has been paid.
You may cancel this insurance before the start date of your coverage and receive a full refund. Please notify Seven Corners, Inc. in writing.
Filing a Claim
To obtain reimbursement for an Insured Loss, you must provide written proof of loss to us within 90 days after the date of the expense. Failure to furnish proof within the time required shall not invalidate nor reduce your claim if it was not reasonably possible to give proof within such time, provided the proof is provided as soon as reasonably possible. We may deny coverage if your Proof of Loss is submitted later or if it is incomplete, or if you do not submit a Proof of Loss form.
Payment for insured losses will be made immediately upon receipt of written proof of loss. Please contact Security Exchange for claim filing instructions.
International: +44 20 3284 8844
US, Canada, & Caribbean: 1-305-384-4825
It is your responsibility to maintain all records regarding travel history and provide any documents to Seven Corners, which would verify the eligibility requirements.
This brochure is intended as a brief summary of benefits and services. It is not your plan documentation and does not contain a complete list of the coverage, limitations, and exclusions of this plan. If there is any difference between this brochure and your plan document, the provisions of the plan documents will prevail. Benefits and premiums are subject to change.
Your Underwriter Insurance benefits are underwritten by ANV, Syndicate at Lloyd’s of London.
Your Service Provider All services are provided by Security Exchange, your crisis response team.
Your Administrator Seven Corners is your administrator. Contact us for pre-purchase and purchase questions, changes to ID cards, and refunds. Contact Security Exchange for all crisis management questions.
After your purchase, you will receive an ID card and plan documentation, which will describe your coverage in detail. You will receive contact details explaining how to notify Security Exchange in case of an emergency or claim.
Please be certain to leave a copy of your ID card with a family member or trusted associate. We do not recommend you carry it with you as you do not want anyone to learn that you have coverage for kidnap and ransom.
Your Responsibility as a Covered Person Under Captum
If an insured event occurs or is believed to have occurred, you must:
- Inform Security Exchange (or other previously approved independent security consultants) and provide whatever information is required as soon as possible;
- Inform, or allow Security Exchange (or other previously approved independent security consultants) to inform, the appropriate authorities responsible for law enforcement (in the country where the insured event has occurred) of the ransom demand as soon as possible, having regard for the safety of the victim.
You must act prudently at all times and do all things reasonably practicable to avoid or diminish any insured losses.
You must at all times use your best efforts to restrict knowledge of the existence of this insurance.
Following an insured event, Security Exchange’s services are available to you at no charge and on a priority basis to provide advice and assistance in the handling of the insured event for as long as required.
We will not pay more than our policy limits.
We will not be liable in respect of any losses which are, or but for this insurance would be, covered under any other insurance, save in excess of such other insurance.
We will not accept liability for a series of connected events where the first of which began before the Period of Insurance specified in the Schedule.
We will not be liable in respect of any losses which are not reported to Us during the Period of Insurance or the discovery period.
Furthermore, we will not be liable in respect of any losses caused by, arising from or attributable to any of the following:
- (Off premises robbery exclusion) The deliberate surrender of a ransom in any face to face encounter unless the ransom is being conveyed for the sole purpose of paying a previously communicated ransom demand.
- (On premises robbery exclusion) The payment of a ransom either at the kidnap location of one or more Covered Person(s) or where the extortion demand is first made, unless a ransom demand has already been received prior to bringing the ransom to that location.
- In respect of kidnap, extortion or hijack, a criminal act or an attempt either directly or indirectly to defraud Us by You, Your directors or officers, whether acting alone or in collusion with others.
- In respect of detention only:
- (i) a detention for a period of less than twelve (12) hours;
- (ii) any act by you or a covered person which would be a criminal offence if committed by the same party in the State where its headquarters are located or of which you are a national, unless we determine that such allegations were intentionally false, fraudulent and malicious and made solely and directly to achieve a political, propaganda or coercive effect upon You or a Covered Person or at Your expense;
- (iii) your failure to properly procure or maintain immigration, work, residence, travel or similar visas, permits or other documentation.
- (iv) a covered person(s) taking part in the operations of any governmental or private police, guard, security or armed forces.
- Any coverage or any claim which might breach any or all trade or economic sanctions, prohibitions or restrictions of either the United Nations, European Union, United Kingdom, United States of America or other Government with proven legitimate interests.
- There shall be no liability hereunder in respect of a series of kidnaps or extortions or threats or detentions or hijacks or disappearances the first of which began before the Period of Insurance.
- In respect of disappearance only:
- (i) the voluntary disappearance of a covered person of his or her own free will;
- (ii) the disappearance of a covered person during or within twenty-four (24) hours of a storm(wind, rain, snow, sleet, hail, lightning, dust, or sand), earthquake, flood, tsunami, volcanic eruption, wildfire, or other similar natural disaster that results in severe and widespread damage and that causes the area in which the covered person was last located to be declared unsafe or a disaster area by the local government and deemed to be uninhabitable or dangerous; or
- (iii) the disappearance of a covered person while engaged in transit by air or sea.
Exclusions for Emergency Repatriation and Relocation
In respect of Emergency Repatriation and relocation only, We will not be liable in respect of any losses caused by, arising from or attributable to any of the following:
- Violation by You or a Covered Person of the laws or regulations of the country in which the insured event takes place;
- The failure by You or a Covered Person properly to procure or maintain immigration, work, residence or similar visas, permits or other documentation;
- The failure by You or a Covered Person to honor any contractual obligation or bond or to obey any conditions in a license;
- The Emergency Repatriation or Relocation of Covered Person(s) who are nationals of the country in which the insured event takes place;
- The Emergency Repatriation or relocation of Covered Person(s) where at inception of this contract of insurance officials of a Resident Country have issued and/or have in force a recommendation, for reasons other than medical, that categories of person which include the Covered Person should leave the country in which that Covered Person is temporarily resident;